net-im/openfire port related question.

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Wed Feb 13 19:08:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 06:09:38PM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Scot Hetzel wrote:
> > On 2/13/08, Nikolay Pavlov <qpadla at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello all. I am a maintainer of the net-im/openfire port. I have a report
> >>  from Dmitri Frolov <admin at artpaint.spb.ru> that openfire uses the same uid
> >>  as security/stunnel port. Could someone please suggest me as how i can
> >>  resolve this situation?
> >>
> > If you look at security/cyrus-sasl2/pkg-install, it checks to see if
> > the username exists, if it doesn't exist, then it checks if the uid is
> > available, if it is not available, it increments the uid until it
> > finds an available uid.
> >
> > Both ports should be using a similar routine to check if the uid/gid
> > they are requesting is available.
>
> Actually, that's old hat.  The current standard is that you should
> pick an otherwise unused UID (and/or GID) from /usr/ports/UIDs and
> register that as belonging to your port.  Submit a maintainer update
> with patches to UIDs and GIDs plus modifications to the way the port
> is installed so that it uses the allocated numbers, and you're golden.
>
> If another port has a UID clash with yours and you have established
> rights by registering the uid in this way, then you can insist that
> the other port is changed to not clash with yours.

...and that's precisely what I did with the stunnel port five months
ago, in rev. 1.48 of the ports/UIDs file :)  Before that, stunnel
just invoked "pw groupadd" and then "pw useradd" without any specific
ID's, but now it always uses 341.

Hmmm, that might indeed be a problem if this user ID is already taken
by another account on the user's system; I'll see if I can work something
out on the autodetection front, but my advice to Nikolay would be to
pick another user ID and register it in the ports/UIDs file, at least
for the benefit for people who have not yet installed openfire and shall
do so for the first time in the future :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
This sentence would be seven words long if it were six words shorter.