spamd port

eculp eculp at encontacto.net
Wed Feb 13 15:36:09 UTC 2008

Quoting Doug Hardie <bc979 at lafn.org>:

> I am trying to get the port mail/spamd to work on FreeBSD 6.2.
> There is not a lot of information on actually using spamd.  So far I
> have figured out that I have to kldload pf and then a pfctl -e
> before attempting to start spamd.  However, spamd-setup actually
> does nothing.  pfctl -s rules shows an error message:
>
> No ALTQ support in kernel
> ALTQ related functions disabled
>
> I have no idea what ALTQ is (or if its even required) since I can
> find no references to it in the kernel config files or kld modules.
> There is a page on setting up spamd at
> http://www.bgnett.no/~peter/pf/en/spamd.setup.html but it doesn't
> address this issue or have any extra steps that need to be done.
> Any ideas what is going on here?

I would start by getting pf running as expected and do some rule
changing and testing to understand it a bit better and THEN I would
look at spamd which I found a bit confusing although well worth the
effort.

My salvation in spamd was a an excellent,common sense write-up by
Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at freebsd.org> that you can find at:
http://jdc.parodius.com/freebsd/openbsd-spamd.txt

You can use Peter´s excellent work from the beginning to get pf going
or by using the samples in /usr/share/examples/pf

enjoy,

ed