Numerous unpleasant surprises in latest portupgrade

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Tue Feb 12 18:39:57 UTC 2008

On Feb 12, 2008, at 10:17 AM, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:

> The latest portupgrade suddenly seems to have become *very*
> unintuitive,
> and extremely quirky/buggy.  Some of the error/info messages no longer
> make any sense at all to me, either!

I have noticed it doesn't chase *any* dependencies that need upgrading
if the base port specified doesn't need updating.  For example, if
pcre is outdated and I do "portupgrade -Rrv postfix" it will do
nothing unless postfix itself needs updating too, even though it is a
dependency.

This is very un-useful behavior.