Collecting pkg-message files?

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 11 18:44:51 UTC 2008

One of the things that often trips up new users is the fact that
pkg-message files scroll past their buffers when installing something
via ports.  As such, they sometimes miss important post-installation
steps which need to be taken in order to finish the install.  I've
attached a patch I've come up with to collect all the pkg-message files
during an install and display them at the end.

In order to not be in violation of POLA I only collect the messages and
display them if SHOW_ALL_PKG_MSGS is defined.  This way it won't get in
the way of any automated tools, and in some cases it may reduce the
complexity of those tools if they provide native support for this.

I've barely tested this, but I'm due to get a new laptop in a few weeks
and plan to run this patch while I'm building and installing everything
I normally use.  I'm curious if there is anyone else out there willing
to test this out before I submit a PR for it once it proves stable
during my new laptop install.  Please let me know what you think and if
you run into any problems with it.

-- WXS

PS: I'm hoping to have time in a week or two to hack out similar
functionality for pkg_add(1).