Upgrading the Installed package

Garrett Cooper yanegomi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 08:45:39 PST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008, at 2:39 AM, navneet Upadhyay wrote:

> Since i am not using the ports , i have complied my product and have
> created
> package using pkg_create on Machine B(build)and added it using
> pkg_add on
> machine A .
> so after these steps i have my 1.0 installed on Machine A.
>
> Now i have made some changes in my product and created a package on
> Machine
> B using pkg_create, and it is my 1.1 version.
>
> I want to install this(1.1) version on machine A(which is having 1.0
> already
> installed) .
>
> one way is to remove 1.0 and install 1.1 on machine A, but i cannot
> afford
> to do so. IS there any way to upgrade it to 1.1 without uninstalling?
> pkg_update command is not present.
>
> I hope i am clear with what i want.
>
> Help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Navneet

pkg_delete(1) and pkg_add(1) will do the trick if you want to do a
straight upgrade of the packages. Otherwise, I suggest installing the
package to another directory for evaluation purposes (see the
PKG_PREFIX variable).

Everything should work (crosses fingers), pending that the packages
don't CONFLICT with one another and/or the metadata (/var/db/pkg) is
stored in 2 different locations (I forget whether or not that is the
case).

See each respective manpage for more info.

Cheers,
-Garrett