Upgrading the Installed package

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Wed Feb 6 03:41:13 PST 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 04:09:47PM +0530, navneet Upadhyay wrote:
> Since i am not using the ports , i have complied my product and have created
> package using pkg_create on Machine B(build)and added it using pkg_add on
> machine A .
> so after these steps i have my 1.0 installed on Machine A.
>
> Now i have made some changes in my product and created a package on Machine
> B using pkg_create, and it is my 1.1 version.
>
> I want to install this(1.1) version on machine A(which is having 1.0 already
> installed) .
>
>  one way is to remove 1.0 and install 1.1 on machine A, but i cannot afford
> to do so. IS there any way to upgrade it to 1.1 without uninstalling?
> pkg_update command is not present.
>
>  I hope i am clear with what i want.

Yes, what you want is clear; I understand you.  And the straightforward
answer to your question is no, it's not possible.

The way you upgrade a port/package on a FreeBSD machine is that you
pkg_delete (deinstall) the old one before pkg_add'ing (installing) the
new one.  All package management systems on every platform I've used
(Solaris, Linux, and FreeBSD) behave this way.

It would help if you could explain why you cannot afford to pkg_delete
your 1.0 package before installing 1.1.