Upgrading the Installed package

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Tue Feb 5 22:37:21 PST 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 11:41:13AM +0530, navneet Upadhyay wrote:
>       I have two binary packages of an application of version 1.1 and 1.2.
> *The 1.1 is already installed, how can i upgrade it to 1.2* ?
>
> Do i have to uninstall 1.1 and then install 1.2 ?   I would prefer a way by
> which i can upgrade an wxisting package without uninstalling.

First of all, do not cross-post to multiple mailing lists.  This is
considered rude/bad practise.

Second -- yes, you should definitely uninstall 1.1 before installing
1.2.  The ports/package management system should not let you install
both at the same time.  If uninstalling said package will impact service
in some way, you need to take steps to mitigate impact before doing the
uninstall.  That's outside of the scope of a package management system.