Do SpamAssassin spamd and Obspamd play nicely together?

eculp eculp at encontacto.net
Tue Feb 5 12:26:20 PST 2008

Quoting Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at freebsd.org>:

> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 09:54:40AM -0600, eculp wrote:
>> Quoting Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at freebsd.org>:
>>> http://jdc.parodius.com/freebsd/openbsd-spamd.txt
>>
>> Sorry, but I have one other question.  Are you still using obspamd on the
>> machines you set up when you wrote the above link?  Your reasons on why or
>> why not would be greatly appreciated.
>
> No, we're not.  The main reason we reverted back to postgrey was because
> OpenBSD spamd cannot add an SMTP header to mails detailing how long the
> mail was delayed for.  postgrey, since it's a postfix policy service,
> adds an X-Greylist header to mails allowing users to see just how long
> the greylisting delay was.  This feature has come in handy for tracking
> down greylisting problems.  An example header:

> mx01.sc1.parodius.com; Mon, 04 Feb 2008 21:02:35 PST
>
> Here's an example of one which I should probably track down in our SMTP
> logs to see if the delay was caused by something other than redelivery
> time on the remote SMTP server:

> mx01.sc1.parodius.com; Mon, 07 Jan 2008 10:33:09 PST
>
> I would love to try OpenBSD spamd again, but it's not a policy service
> service like postgrey is -- OpenBSD spamd has absolutely no way of
> inserting any data into delivered mail, because it's implemented with
> pf(4) and is not a policy service.
>
> It's quite possible to make a piece of software that would act as a
> policy service for postfix which could get details of greylisted mails
> and when they were actually delivered by OpenBSD spamd.  Just thinking
> about it makes me consider writing it.  :-)  Would be quite useful...

It would be very nice to have and useful information.  Especially now
that I am impatiently watching my tables grow and waiting for emails
that I have seeded from many other sources, I am far from comfortable
with pfspamd but seeing that I have received almost no spam since I
started the test, is currently compensating.  I would give postgray a
try but don't have a server running postfix right now and don't have a
lot of time and for now am going to set up pfspamd on all unless I
find some major issue.

Thanks again for all the useful information.

ed