linux app port, "version `GLIBC_2.4' not found"

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru
Mon Feb 4 06:52:13 PST 2008

* Beech Rintoul (beech at freebsd.org) wrote:
> > I'm trying to port a linux app, and it says:
> >
> > % ./app
> > ./app: /lib/obsolete/linuxthreads/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4'
> > not found (required by ./app)
> >
> > Seems like linux_base-fc4 is too old for this application, as it
> > requires glibc 2.4. Is there a way to indicate in a port that newer
> > linux_base is needed?
>
> From bsd.port.mk:
>
> # USE_LINUX		- Set to yes to say the port needs the default linux base
>                                   port.
> #				  Set to value <X>, if the port needs emulators/linux_base-<X>.
> #				  If set to "7", a dependency is registered to
> 		                  emulators/linux_base.
> #				  Implies appropriate settings for STRIP and STRIP_CMD.
Yes, but this info seems a bit outdated for me.
First, there's no linux_base-7. Besides fc4 there's fc6 and f7, what
should I use? Also, what'll happen if user has linux_base-fc4
installed already? Seems to me that it would be better to check for
linux glibc >=2.4 and ask user to reinstall newer linux_base if it's not
found.
The problem is there are no examples for this, everyone just use
LINUX_BASE=yes.

Dmitry A. Marakasov    | jabber: amdmi3 at jabber.ru
amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru       | http://www.amdmi3.ru