FreeBSD Port: hplip-2.7.12 -- Please extend pkg-message

Michael Ross michael.ross at gmx.net
Fri Feb 1 11:11:37 PST 2008

Hi,

as I did not manage to figure this out myself, found no mention of it in a
lot of howtos and troubleshooting sites, until I finally had to ask for
help on usenet,
I suggest to add the following to pkg-message:

	When you use the lp, lpr, lprm or lpq command,
	you have to use those installed by cups in /usr/local/bin,
	not the ones the base system provides in /usr/bin.

	For hplip to work, you will want to either backup the
	binaries in /usr/bin and replace them with symlinks to
	the ones in /usr/local/bin; or put /usr/local/bin before
	/usr/bin in your $PATH.

Actually, hp-testpage and hp-toolbox _do_ use these commands, so without
at least changing $PATH -- which is unchanged installation default 7.0-RC1
on my machine --, the tools simply do not work, they complain about "no
running lpd" and if you start one, the print jobs queue up in the wrong
place.
And I spent hours looking for a clue. YMMV.

Michael