Upgrading xorg 6.9 to 7.3 -- what happened to xorg-upgrade?

Mark Ovens parish at magichamster.com
Fri Feb 1 00:42:25 PST 2008

> Bob Willcox wrote:
> Thanks for the info Mark, however I do know what script does and why
> one might use it (I've used it for years for just that, and I'm not
> even trying to use it here).
>
> What I was asking about (please re-read my subject line) was the
> xorg-upgrade command itself. Where is it located? I can't find it
> anywhere on any of my 10 FreeBSD systems (and I know it used to exist
> because I have used it in the past).

As everyone keeps saying - there is no such command, it is the filename
for the output from script(1).

Read past the '# script xorg-upgrade' line in UPDATING - until the line '#
exit' - there are about a dozen steps to do the upgrade, there is no
single program to do it.

These are the steps from UPDATING (with the commentary removed):

# script xorg-upgrade

  # portupgrade -f -o ports-mgmt/portupgrade-devel portupgrade
  # rm -f /usr/ports/INDEX*.db /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db
  # pkgdb -fu

  # cd /usr/ports && make index

  # cd /usr/ports && make fetchindex

  For users of csh-like shells:
  # setenv XORG_UPGRADE yes

  For users of sh-like shells:
  # export XORG_UPGRADE=yes

  # portupgrade -Rf libXft

  # portupgrade -a

  # portupgrade -a -x 'gstreamer*'

  # portupgrade -Rr 'gstreamer*'

  # portupgrade -aP

  # pkg_delete xorg-manpages\*

  # sh /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/mergebase.sh

  Congratulations, you are done!

  # exit

HTH

Regards,