best way to work around <malloc.h> vs <stdlib.h> ?

Pedro Giffuni pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 15:45:46 UTC 2008

FWIW;

One of the projects in COIN-OR found it unacceptable to ifdef malloc.h with __STDC__. The reason is that other systems, especically AIX, use malloc.h for non standard malloc-related functions, and including malloc.h had no ill effect on other platforms. At the end they ifndef'ed it for __FreeBSD__.

- dlmalloc and ptmalloc define malloc_usable_size() in malloc.h
- FreeBSD defines malloc_usable_size() in malloc_np.h

I am the minority here but I think we should go back to issuing a simple warning and continue. The known packages are already fixed and being so picky justs make life a little bit more difficult for newcomers.

Pedro.