FreeBSD Port: curl-7.18.0

Pete Stephenson pete at heypete.com
Wed Aug 20 21:41:16 UTC 2008

curl maintainer,

I was in contact with my web host to inquire if their installation of
curl from the FreeBSD Ports could include the Mozilla CA bundle. I am
attempting to use curl to connect to a site using the StartCom SSL CA
(http://www.startssl.com/), which is included with the Mozilla bundle,
but evidently not with the default CA bundle included with curl. As
such, my use of curl meets with errors relating to the fact that it
doesn't recognize the CA.

I asked that they include the bundle in their installation, but they
said, "That would require us to manually update the installed list on
each and every one of our machines after each and every curl update.
Curl updates very frequently and we have a lot of machines, so that is
simply not feasible."

They suggested that I contact the port maintainer and ask if you could
alter the port of curl to use the Mozilla CA bundle automatically.
Evidently this is quite common with Linux distributions. If this were
the case, all of the host's systems would pick up the change automatically.

Additionally, my host suggested, "It may be worth mentioning to
him/her/it that the Mozilla CA list is already available on FreeBSD in
PEM format as security/ca_root_nss, so it may be as simple as adding a
port dependency and changing src/lib/ca-bundle.h."

Is it possible to include the Mozilla CA bundle with curl?

Cheers!
-Pete

--
Pete Stephenson