Possible copyright problems in some games [Fwd: Removal of illegal packages]

Alexey Shuvaev shuvaev at physik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Mon Aug 18 10:31:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 02:11:35PM +0400, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Stephen Sweeney <stephen.j.sweeney at googlemail.com> -----
>
> Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 19:02:15 +0100
> From: Stephen Sweeney <stephen.j.sweeney at googlemail.com>
> To: ubuntu-motu at lists.ubuntu.com, fedora-packaging at redhat.com,
> 	guus at debian.org, pkgsrc-users at NetBSD.org, kili at openbsd.org,
> 	amdmi3 at FreeBSD.org, klausman at gentoo.org,
> 	"mr_bones_ at gentoo.org" <mr_bones_ at gentoo.org>
> Subject: Removal of illegal packages
>
> Hi there,
>
> It is with much regret that I have to ask you to remove the following
> packages from your repositories,
>
> blobwars (Blob Wars : Metal Blob Solid)
> starfighter (Project: Starfighter)
> blobAndConquer (Blob Wars : Blob And Conquer)
> viruskiller (Virus Killer)
>
> It has been brought to my attention by a Happy Penguin regular, leileilol,
> that the packages contain resources that are non-free and, in some cases,
> ripped from other games and still copyrighted. They should all be removed
> immediately to avoid any legal issues.
>
> It would be within the interests of all if we could get these games removed
> ASAP so that your distributions are not affected by any legal issues.
>
> Please could you forward this email along to any one else you may know who
> is a package maintainer.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Stephen Sweeney
>
>From http://www.parallelrealities.co.uk/virusKiller.php:

License

Source code is distributed under the GNU General Public License. Resources are Non Free. This game should not be added to Linux distributions or respositories.

>From porters-handbook:

RESTRICTED should be set to a string describing the reason why the port cannot be redistributed. Typically, this indicates that the port contains proprietary software and that the user will need to manually download the DISTFILES, possibly after registering for the software or agreeing to accept the terms of an EULA.

I think RESTRICTED is quite enough.

Alexey.