SETI/BOINC problems

Rene Ladan r.c.ladan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 09:34:00 UTC 2008

[stripped Peter and Pav from cc: ]

2008/8/18 Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET <ml at t-b-o-h.net>:
>> Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET writes:
>>
>> >     Even though you hijacked the thread, can you mention WHAT you
>> >     upgraded?
>>
>>       Which was not the intention.  pav is the listed aintainer for
>> boinc-client, which was upgraded within the last seven days.  I do
>> not believe boinc-setiathome-enhanced (my only boinc client) has
>> been upgraded for about 10 weeks.
>>
>> >  boinc-setiathome? boinc-setiathome-enhanced?
>> >  boinc-setiathome-naparst? Did you switch from 1 to another? What
>> >  is the contents of your
>> >  /var/db/boinc/projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu/app_info.xml file?
>>
>> huff@>> more /var/db/boinc/projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu/app_info.xml
>> /var/db/boinc/projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu/app_info.xml: No such file or directory
>>

>        So whats under /var/db/boinc/projects? It should have something
> to the tune of setiathome.berkeley.edu .
>
>        Usually I've seen that error when there wasn't an app_info.xml to
> tell the server not to identify me as freebsd, but an "anonymous" platform.
>
>        Then again, I'm still running on boinc-client-5.10.32_2 (X11 enabled,
> ALT disabled). It looks like the system may have also given your computer a
> new identifier. If you go onto the SETI website, do you see anything about
> the same computer with different information?

I'm running boinc-6.2.14 without X11 and ALT, currently with setiathome and
milkywayathome from ports.  There were some difficulties in getting work for
seti, especially astropulse units seem hard to get (I got 1 on a windows box).

For setiathome, there definitely should be an app_info.xml if you're
not using ALT.
Maybe (re)installing the astro/boinc-setiathome-enhanced is enough (no support
for astropulse yet, but you can manually download a binary from www.dotsch.de
and update app_info.xml according to the instructions.

Regards,
Rene
--
http://www.rene-ladan.nl/

GPG fingerprint = E738 5471 D185 7013 0EE0 4FC8 3C1D 6F83 12E1 84F6
(subkeys.pgp.net)