[kde-freebsd] [HEADS UP] KDE 4.1.0 for FreeBSD available

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 01:58:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 6:02 AM, Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:
> Thanks for pointing me to the man pages, even if I know them and even if
> I said in my posting that I did 'portsnap fetch' and 'portsnap extract';
>
> What I did not realized is that you have to do 'portupgrade' as well
> when you have not installed any port before, but only packages of the
> base system; now I know this; thx

While those may have been installed using binary packages off the
installation CD, they are still ports.  If you do "pkg_info" after
your install, you will see the list of ports that you installed.  I'm
guessing you installed a package(s) that has a dependency on glib, and
the glib package was installed.  Hence why you need to either
uninstall/reinstall the glib port, or use a port management tool like
portmaster to upgrade the installed port.

If you do a standard install of just the OS (no packages, no ports),
then the output of "pkg_info" will be empty.  At that point, if you do
"portsnap fetch extract" and install x11/kde4, everything will work.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com