freebsd port: apcupsd-3.14.3_1

Eric Zimmerman heli at mikestammer.com
Wed Apr 30 16:40:09 UTC 2008

Robert Huff wrote:
> Mike Stammer writes:
>
>>  Last night i installed apcupsd and there was a post install message
>>  mentioning to comment out the following in the kernel:
>>
>>  device      uhid        # "Human Interface Devices"
>>
>>  i do not think this is necessary anymore as I, in the process of
>>  determining my first UPS was bad, tried a kernel both with and without
>>  the line above commented out.
>>
>>  I now have apcupsd running with the line above uncommented in my
>>  kernel after exchanging my UPS for another one.
>>
>>  The model UPS I am using is an APC BX900.
>>
>>  Can the post install message be altered to remove the recommendation
>>  to comment out the device shown above?
>
> 	_If_ this is true (not doubting, just saying it's a significant
> change and needs to be thoroughly tested), the APCUPSD authors need
> to know so they can make the change in the souce.

According to the author's web page, found here:

http://www.apcupsd.com/manual/Building_Installing_apcupsd.html#FreeBSD

says:

This port is complete and is being used by several users

I think they already have changed things to allow it to work.

I also found this page:

http://www.freebsddiary.org/apcupsd.php

which states:

FreeBSD specific issues

At the time of writing, there was a list of FreeBSD kernel configuration
issues. These are no longer required. apcupsd now works with a GENERIC
kernel on FreeBSD 6.1; there is no longer a need to disable uhid or
enable egen. As well, the FreeBSD kernel panics if USB cable is
unplugged while apcupsd is running.

In short, apcupsd works out of the box, with the correct configuration
items.

I cannot comment on the kernel panics when unplugging the UPS as i
haven't tested that, but everything else works without tweaking anything
as mentioned in the post install file in the kernel (which is a good
thing!).  Everything else in the post install msg, including setting
UPSTYPE usb and setting DEVICE <blank> works as expected.

Eric Zimmerman