How often do pointyhat do a build?

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 29 15:39:45 UTC 2008

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Mark Linimon wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 06:41:30PM -0700, Xin LI wrote:
>>> So does it imply that pointyhat's -CURRENT would (slightly) behind the
>>> current development?
>>
>> Yes, it takes some amount of time to upgrade everything.
>>
>>> Is there any way to know which __FreeBSDversion the current build is
>>> running against?
>>
>> Not without logging onto pointyhat and the nodes.  (We do update all the
>> nodes for a given architecture at the same time.)
>>
>> Here's the snapshot right now:
>>
>> pointyhat itself (amd64):    FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #23: Mon Feb 11
>> 21:22:10 UTC 2008
>> node gohan40 (i386):        FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #21: Sun Feb 17
>> 11:22:36 UTC 2008
>> node hammer1 (amd64):        FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #0: Thu Apr 24
>> 07:03:35 UTC 2008
>> node netra1 (sparc64):        FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #2: Wed Aug  8
>> 19:34:13 PDT 2007
>
> kernel version usually isn't relevant unless you're looking at a change
> that broke the kernel/userland ABI.

Also the nodes are not always updated simultaneously for each
architecture, it usually falls more along administrative groupings like
which ones are colocated and sharing the same NFS root.

The bottom line is that if you want to evaluate the impact on the ports
tree of a certain change to src, contact portmgr to schedule a full
build.  We're happy to work with src developers to do this (ideally
before the change is committed, if there is a belief that it might have
a large disruptive impact).

Kris