Rubygems and trouble with rdoc node renumbering

Stanislav Sedov stas at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 28 19:10:59 UTC 2008

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:19:17 +0200
Ulrich Spoerlein <uspoerlein at gmail.com> mentioned:

> Heh, well, that's exactly what I thought about, 5 minutes after sending
> that email! Yes, I'm running /usr and the WRKDIRPREFIX on ZFS.
>
> I haven't compared, if it is responsible for shuffling around the order
> in which directories are written (or read).
>
> Anyway, this means that almost all rdoc ports will break their pkg-plist
> when you compile/create them on an ZFS system. I will test with UFS
> today and also run some other rdoc-using ports on my ZFS to see if this
> is general problem or only specific to my port.

Yeah, pkg-plists of ruby ports that has static plist entries for rdoc
are broken under ZFS. I spotted that problem a while ago when switched
my tinderbox installation to ZFS. That's why they're also broken
with ruby19 - ruby 19 tends to sort file names before renumbering,
so they're consistent.

The possible solution - convert all such ports to generate rdoc pkg-plist
entries dynamically. In fact, this code will be common for major of
such ports, and it will cut down their plists dramatically. If you
interested, we can work on this, since it seems to be a lot of work. We can
add a knob to bsd.ruby.mk for ports to generate such entries easily.

--
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE