Rubygems and trouble with rdoc node renumbering

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 08:19:27 UTC 2008

On Sat, 26.04.2008 at 00:18:25 +0200, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 09:59:33PM +0200, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> > I'm trying to update rubygem-rgl and the rdoc part is giving me a
> > headache, as the rdoc will obviously use readdir() only to walk the
> > directory tree *but* gives each of its HTML pages a unique number.
> >
> > The upshot is, that my pkg-plist is changing every time I install the
> > port. That's a big problem since the rdoc is also run on do-install and
> > I'm not sure I could generate the pkg-plist dynamically *after* that
> > step.
>
> Just out of curiousity - what type of filesystem is WRKDIRPREFIX
> pointed at? ZFS?

Heh, well, that's exactly what I thought about, 5 minutes after sending
that email! Yes, I'm running /usr and the WRKDIRPREFIX on ZFS.

I haven't compared, if it is responsible for shuffling around the order
in which directories are written (or read).

Anyway, this means that almost all rdoc ports will break their pkg-plist
when you compile/create them on an ZFS system. I will test with UFS
today and also run some other rdoc-using ports on my ZFS to see if this
is general problem or only specific to my port.

Cheers,
Ulrich Spoerlein
--
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt.