purely package-based/oriented solution

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Thu Apr 24 06:46:40 UTC 2008

on 24/04/2008 09:02 Alexander Leidinger said the following:
> Quoting Pav Lucistnik <pav at FreeBSD.org> (from Wed, 23 Apr 2008
> 15:39:17 +0200):
>
>> Andriy Gapon píše v st 23. 04. 2008 v 16:35 +0300:
>
>>> BTW, strange thing:
>>> $ portupgrade -a -PP
>>> ** Port marked as IGNORE: devel/linux_kdump:
>>>         does not build with the default linux base, use the package instead
>>>
>>> What's this about? :-) I do say to use packages only.
>> Guess portupgrade still looks at the ports tree. What happens if you try
>> to rm -rf /usr/ports first?
>
> If someone knows a better way of handling this (using something else
> than IGNORE, with the same effect to people trying to build it from
> ports but with a better behavior when used with portupgrade -PP), I'am
> all ears (a better way of fixing this would be to include preparsed
> linux stuff, but there are more important things on my TODO list...).

Alexander,

I am not completely sure what your question was.
My concern is: why on -PP mode portupgrade needs ports at all? Why not
just go to package repository and check what you've got there.

I do not demand that portupgrade be tailored to my needs, I am just
saying that it doesn't meet them.
... maybe if I rename it to pkgupgrade :-)

--
Andriy Gapon