cmucl and sbcl keep crashing on FreeBSD 7.0

Xuebin Qiao xbqiao at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 18:17:13 UTC 2008

To whom may concern:

I check port tree and know that this address is maintainer mailbox for sbcl
port. I've sent similar mail to cmucl maintainer but had no reply yet.

I've upgrade to freebsd 7.0 release for quite some times. However, I could
not run cmucl and sbcl binary from port package. And the attempts to build
from port tree were also failed. Prebuilt sbcl/cmucl core kept crashing
every time when building port sources. And clisp compiler complained lots of
undefined function names when building sbcl source.

Weird, I saw freebsd site still provide binary port packages for cmucl and
sbcl both under 7.0-release and 7-stable directories. And there are also
many fb7.0 precompiled binaries at cmucl offical site for download. But none
of them work for my fb7.0. Do I miss something?

Could u give me some inputs about how to fix it?

best regards

qxb

below is stack info shown in gdb when cmucl crashed:
#0  0x67ffffff in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x67ffffff in ?? ()
#1  0x61790e5b in ?? ()
#2  0x48000000 in ?? ()
#3  0x20000000 in ?? ()
#4  0x00000007 in ?? ()
#5  0x00001012 in ?? ()
#6  0xffffffff in ?? ()
#7  0x00000000 in ?? ()
#8  0x00000000 in ?? ()
#9  0x61713000 in ?? ()
#10 0x00000170 in ?? ()
#11 0xbfbfe748 in ?? ()
#12 0x0ffff000 in ?? ()
#13 0x48000000 in ?? ()
#14 0x20000000 in ?? ()
#15 0x0805cef2 in ?? ()
#16 0xbfbfe738 in ?? ()
#17 0x080544ca in os_validate (addr=0x48000000, len=536870912)
    at ../../src/lisp/FreeBSD-os.c:129
Previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt stack?)

... there have been two really clean,
consistent models of programming so far:
the C model and the Lisp model.
These two seem points of high ground,
with swampy lowlands between them.

--Paul Graham