PHP CLI bails with threaded libraries

Oliver Crow ocrow at skymind.com
Wed Apr 16 22:48:04 UTC 2008

Xin LI wrote:
> Oliver Crow wrote:
>> I'm looking for advice on a problem with PHP on FreeBSD 7.0, which
>> appears to be related to threading. Whenever I run the command line
>> 'php' program I get a core dump with a series of error messages:
>>
>>  > Fatal error 'Cannot allocate red zone for initial thread' at line
>> 384 in file /usr/src/lib/libthr/thread/thr_init.c (errno = 12)
>
> You may have to rebuild all related stuff to get rid of this.  Linking
> against different libc versions is not supported.

I did a portupgrade -f lang/php5, and that did the trick! I can now load
php extensions such as mhash and pgsql which use libthr without dumping
core.

I guess this should have clued me in:
# ldd /usr/local/bin/php
         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x284a3000)
         libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x285b4000)

After the portupgrade ldd shows only libc.so.7

Thanks!
Oliver