Openldap server install failure - openldap client conflict

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 07:30:05 UTC 2008

Da Rock wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 07:03 +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> Da Rock wrote:

>> One of the programs that depends on the client is OpenLDAP-server -- so
>> just by typing
>>
>>     portinstall net/openldap23-server
>>
>> you'll cause openldap23-client (or openldap23-sasl-client) to be installed
>> as a normal consequence of ports dependency resolution.  The problem comes
>> if you've already got, say, openldap23-client installed and you want
>> openldap24-client -- other applications: Apache, PHP etc. will work with
>> just about any LDAP version but openldap-server needs the matching client
>> version.  The solution is something like this:
>>
>>    # portupgrade -o net/openldap24-client -f openldap-client-2.3.41
>>    # portupgrade -fr openldap-client-2.4.8
>>
>> to switch from the 23 series to the 24 series.

> So my question was if I install the server I'll get the client, and
> you're saying yes? If thats the case then, why is it stopping because
> the client is already installed?

Usually the problem there is either: that the openldap client that the openldap
server requires is different to the one that is already installed, or else that
the WANT_OPENLDAP_VER or other settings (particularly SASL related ones) in
/etc/make.conf or from the OPTIONS dialog differ from one or other or both of
the installed openldap-client and openldap-server.  Get everything in synch and
it will all go smoothly.

>>> And while I'm here... I tried installing the odbc backend, but it
>>> conflicts with other apps as well. How can I have both the libiodbc and
>>> unixodbc at the same time for openldap server (requires libiodbc), php5,
>>> etc?
>> Do you really need the odbc *backend* for LDAP?  That allows LDAP to store
>> its data in a MSSQL database somewhere -- which implies the data store is on
>> a different server to the OpenLDAP instance.  That's not ideal for good
>> performance.  Unless you know you have a specific need for one of the particular
>> back-ends and certainly if you are a beginner with openldap, I'd strongly
>> recommend sticking with the default local storage based on Berkeley DB.
>>

> Actually I thought it covered most sql servers not just mssql- if thats
> the case then good bye for sure. I was interested in maybe mysql though-
> this is not usable for that I take it?

I believe there is a direct SQL backend which would work with a locally
installed instance of MySQL, or possibly various others (PostgreSQL, SQLite)
Even so, it's not a magic solution to make LDAP work better -- quite the reverse
in fact, as it adds extra layers of overhead.  It's one of those things where
if you think you might possibly want it, then actually you don't -- only use it
when you absolutely know you need it.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

- --
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW, UK