FreeBSD 7-RELEASE + CUPS + gutenprint + Epson Stylus CX8400 (fixed path)

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Apr 5 20:57:32 UTC 2008

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Steven Friedrich wrote:

> This printer, from what I read on the Internet, will support
> printing us-ascii, so I tried to send an ls -l > /dev/ulpt0 device, but it
> didn't even print that.

Well, there are some ways that can work but appear not to work.  If
you've already sent a bunch of text without carriage returns, the
printer may not print anything because the text is all to the right of
the page.

Earlier printing may have set the printer into a graphics mode or some
other mode where it won't print anything until a buffer is full or
another specific command is received.

Some printers don't do anything until either a full page is
printed or a form feed is received.

So turn the printer off to clear it, turn it back on, and then send your
test with carriage returns and linefeeds and a final formfeed:

perl -e '$x = `ls -l`; $x =~ s/\n/\r\n/g; print "$x\f"' > /dev/ulpt0