FreeBSD 7-RELEASE + CUPS + gutenprint + Epson Stylus CX8400 (fixed path)

Steven Friedrich FreeBSD at insightbb.com
Sat Apr 5 20:34:53 UTC 2008

On Saturday 05 April 2008 04:07:42 pm Michael Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Steven Friedrich <FreeBSD at insightbb.com>
>
> wrote:
> > No response from -questions...
> >
> > I can't get this printer to work at all.  I've been to cups.org,
> > avasys.jp ,
> > and http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting to no avail.
> >
> > I already had cups installed and working under FreeBSD from a LONG time
> > ago. I
> > used to use it with an HP DeskJet 560C.  Later, I bought a Brother
> > monochrome
> > laser with BR-Script (their version of postscript). That printer was EASY
> > get working, because Brother supplied a .ppd file.
> >
> > I googled my tail off.
> >
> > The OpenPrinting database said to use gutenprint, which I didn't have
> > installed, so I installed it and in cups, I removed the printer and
> > re-added
> > it using the gutenprint ppd apropriate for the CX8400.
> >
> > When I print a test page, it just prints garbage.
> >
> > This printer is a USB printer and I added device ulpt and it shows up
> > with usbdevs:
> > addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
> >  uhub0
> > addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
> >  uhub1
> > addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
> >  uhub2
> > addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
> >  uhub3
> >  addr 2: USB Receiver, Logitech
> >   ums0
> > addr 1: EHCI root hub, Intel
> >  uhub4
> >  addr 2: USB2.0 MFP(Hi-Speed), EPSON
> >   ulpt0
> >   umass0
> >
> > It works under WinXP Pro and I bought this printer because it was pretty
> > cheap
> > and I needed one quickly.   But Epson put a lot of money into CUPS and I
> > can't believe this is so friggin' hard to get it to work.
> >
> > I think the handbook could use some more troubleshooting info for usb
> > printers.  This printer, from what I read on the Internet, will support
> > printing us-ascii, so I tried to send an ls -l > /dev/ulpt0 device, but
> > it didn't even print that.
> >
> > I also noted that the gutenprint users manual says I should have an epson
> > backend in /usr/local/libexec/cups/backend. I don't have one. How do I
> > get it
> > there?
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> also, do you have gutenprint-cups installed?

portversion -v | egrep "cups|guten"
cups-base-1.3.7             =  up-to-date with port
cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_1    =  up-to-date with port
gutenprint-5.1.7            =  up-to-date with port
gutenprint-base-5.1.7       =  up-to-date with port
gutenprint-cups-5.1.7_2     =  up-to-date with port
gutenprint-foomatic-5.1.7   =  up-to-date with port
gutenprint-ijs-5.1.7        =  up-to-date with port
libgnomecups-0.2.3,1        =  up-to-date with port

gutenprint has three options:
[X] CUPS      GutenPrint (gimp-print) Cups Drivers
[X] IJS       IJS GhostScript Drivers
[X] FOOMATIC  Foomatic data files

Originally, I only had the first option selected, but I added the other two
just to see if that would fix it.