Fwd: sudo pkg_add -r gives "Syntax error..."

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 23:10:52 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Philip M. Gollucci <pgollucci at p6m7g8.com>
wrote:

> Pietro Cerutti wrote:
> >
> > Hi list,
> >
> > since a few days I cannot add packages with "sudo pkg_add -r " anymore..
> >
> > Example:
> >
> > | sudo pkg_add -r screen
> > Error: FTP Unable to get
> >
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7.0-release/Latest/screen.tbz
> :
> AFAIK: you can't package screen, see the Makefile, but I think this is
> fixed and the restriction should be removed.
>
> probably unrelated to whatever you are seeing, FWIW, I always use 'sudo'
> for this.

I think that a variable being returned during or as part of the fetch is
NULL and a sprintf is being done with that NULL variable, because I just ran
into an issue like this compiling a piece of code on my own. I tried
reproducing that, but given the fact that I don't have 7.0 release right in
front of me, I can't really reproduce the issue.

HTH,
-Garrett