Handing references to GPL within ports

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Thu Sep 13 00:21:21 PDT 2007

I'm working on a port for H-Inventory (a computer inventory/resource
management tool).  By default, it installs a copy of the GPL.
According to the Porter's Handbook, a port should avoid installing
copies of the GPL.  Whilst it's fairly easy to adapt the port so it
doesn't install the license file, the installed web pages include at
least one hyperlink to the file (I haven't done a complete check).

What is the preferred mechanism for handling this?
- Ignore the Porter's Handbook and install the file anyway
- Create a symlink to an existing copy of the GPL.
  (In which case, where do I find a GPL that will always exist)
- Change the hyperlink to point to a copy of the GPL on the Internet
- something else.

--
Peter Jeremy