Smarteiffel is marked broken but is not (maybe!)

Patrick Lamaiziere patfbsdp at davenulle.org
Tue Oct 16 15:08:09 PDT 2007

Le Tue, 16 Oct 2007 22:27:16 +0200,
Kris Kennaway <kris at FreeBSD.org> :

> >> Check the error log on http://pointyhat.freebsd.org then try to
> >> determine why you are not seeing that error on your system.
> >
> > In the pointyhat report (I found it this morming, but
> > can't find it now), the SmartEiffel's installation program crashs
> > with "Eiffel program crashs at runtime".
> >
> > That's all, it can be a compiler problem or a bug into the
> > installation program. So I don't know.
> >
> > Just to test, I've setup a tinderbox on my PC (7.0/i386) and
> > SmartEiffel builds fine.
>
> OK, someone will have to dig deeper then to understand the cause.

I compiled the install program with full assertions and it crashs with
a run-time stack dump. Looking the code it seems related to the
memory management by SmartEiffel (it is not good because there is a
garbage collector). So may be it is broken.

I will check it with FreeBSD 6.2 and another C compiler and try to get
more informations.

Regards.
stack dump : http://user.lamaiziere.net/patrick/smarteiffel-dump.txt