Fwd: Re: ImageMagick modules (Re: ImageMagick - portupgrade failure -amd64 openexr issues)

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Tue Oct 16 01:13:17 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 16 October 2007 01:12:55 David Southwell wrote:

> Subject: Re: ImageMagick modules (Re: ImageMagick - portupgrade failure
> -amd64 openexr issues)
> Date: Tuesday 16 October 2007
> From: David Southwell <david at vizion2000.net>
> To: Mikhail Teterin <mi+mill at aldan.algebra.com>
>
> On Monday 15 October 2007 07:48:14 you wrote:
> > понеділок 15 жовтень 2007 10:39 до, David Southwell Ви написали:
> > > 1. Any idea how long Module support will remain broken?
> >
> > This is a difficult question to answer, because it depends on the exact
> > configurations -- some modules are just fine, but some others mess things
> > up, when ImageMagick unloads them (via dlclose())...
> >
> > Jasper was a bad offender in the past, but I patched it a few weeks ago.
> > There, probably, remain other evil-doers :(
> >
> > That said, you do not need module support -- there is no gain from them.
> > Adding a third-party module (if any exists at all) remains possible even
> > if ImageMagick's own modules are all linked in.
> >
> > > ** Makefile possibly broken: graphics/ImageMagick:
> > >         "Makefile", line 105: warning: OpenEXR's libIlmThread may
> > > prevent PerlMagick from working
> > >         "Makefile", line 108: warning: DjVu requires threads and will
> > > not be supported
> > >         ImageMagick-6.3.5.10_1
> >
> > If you rebuilt the OpenEXR recently (be sure to read /usr/ports/UPDATING
> > for details), you can ignore the OpenEXR warning. For DjVu it is,
> > probably, best to just disable it -- it requires threads, which often
> > make PerlMagick unusable, because perl is not threaded by default on
> > FreeBSD.
>
> What is the situation when perl is comliled with threads? Is ImageMagick's
> Makefile intenmded to cope with that?
>
> > Unless you know, you need DjVu support for something, PerlMagick is,
> > probably, more important to you than DjVu...
> >
> > > As you can see I have two depencies not upgrading due to ImageMagick
> >
> > The warnings aren't supposed to trigger portupgrade's failure, but I
> > rarely use the tool. There, likely, exists an option to cause it to try
> > building the port regardless...
>
> How about a patch for the makefile?
>
> > Yours,
> >
> >  -mi
>
> Thanks for all your help -- it is appreciated
>
> David

Just a further point the maintainer of OpenEXR seems to be suggesting that the
warning in regard to OpenEXR may be out of date.. perhaps ImageMagick's
Makefile needs some modification in the light of the recent changes to
OpenEXr.. (I am not puttimng myselkf up as an authority here -- I no sweet
FA<chuckles>.

Also perl on my system is compiled with threads but ImageMagick does not seem
to realise that or should it be told explicitly?

David