FreeBSD Port: courier-imap-4.2.0 ssl failure on port 993

Edward Buck ed at bashware.net
Fri Oct 5 17:07:23 PDT 2007

Edward Buck wrote:
> This is regarding the recent update courier-imap-4.2.0.
>
> Not sure if something has changed in functionality or perhaps there was
> an incompatible configuration change but the update broke my imaps
> setup.  I admit that my SSL libraries might be the problem since there
> was recently a security update for SSL.
>
> I updated SSL using freebsd-update (binary updates) which before today
> has been pretty reliable.  Afterwards, my old courier-imap still worked
> fine (perhaps because it was still using the old libraries?). Then last
> night, I updated courier and imaps stopped working (I don't run anything
> on the standard imap port).
>
> The error is:
>
> Oct  5 09:40:00 kafka imapd-ssl: couriertls: connect: error:1408F10B:SSL
> routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number

Here's an update on this issue.  I forgot to mention earlier than the
system is FreeBSD 6.2 p8.

The problem seems to be specific to imapd-ssl running on port 993.  I
didn't spend a lot of time troubleshooting different clients.  Previous
to the update, I used Thunderbird with SSL/port 993 without problems.
Strangely, Korn (KDE mail notifier) seemed to work okay on port 993.  It
could be a client thing but I suspect they just default to different SSL
versions.

TLS works just fine on port 143, which is the configuration I've been
meaning to switch to for some time.  The update forced the issue and
thus, this problem is not really one anymore.  But for those who are
still using imaps on port 993, the update (either the courier-imap
update or the SSL update) may cause some problems.

Thanks.
Ed