Cyrus_imap23

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 21:09:45 PST 2007

On 11/28/07, Kellen <jekillen at prodigy.net> wrote:

> This brings up another question. But first
> let me explain a little. I tried pkg_info Cyrus-imap23
> and got the response that no package by that name
> was installed and could not be found, Well, of course
> that is probably not the exact name and the exact name
> is expected. So I just cd'd to the Cyrus-imap23 dir in
> ports and did pkg_info with no parameter and got a
> long list of stuff, including a lot of X11 and X windows
> stuff.
> The question is, if I do not know the exact name of
> a package, how can I do pkg_info on it.

It is quite simple to do a pkg_info on a port you don't know the exact name:

cd /usr/ports/mail/Cyrus-imap23
pkg_info `make -V PKGNAME`

or look in /var/db/pkg for the ports that have already been installed.

> A corollary question is: How do I find out exactly how
> much configuration a port has applied once a port
> is installed. Apache with php; with or without ssl, might be a typical
> example.

The port maintainers try to create the ports so that you have minimal
amount of work to configure the ports.  But you still need to review
the configuration files installed for each port to ensure they are
appropriate for you system.

> Thus, there is a lot of configuration steps to get Cyrus
> up and running with Postfix, ClamAV, Amavis new, Spamassassin,
> PAM, SASL, mysql and all that. How do I find out how much configuration
> a port has done in a case like this.

Just break the task into steps that need to be accomplished to reach your goal:

assuming your using mysql to contain users:
1. configure postfix to send/receive mail for your domain
2. configure mysql server
3. setup pam_mysql
4. configure cyrus-sasl to authenticate users from mysql
5. configure cyrus-imapd
6. configure postfix to deliver messages to cyrus-imapd, test message delivery
7. configure ClamAV
8. configure Amavis
9. configure postfix to have Amavis scan messages, test message delivery
10. configure Spamassassion
11. configure postfix to scan messages for spam with Spamassassion,
test message delivery.
12. monitor mail delivery until your satisfied that it is working properly.

> I did add Cyrus-imap23 and am
> wondering if it also installed Cyrus SASl. It did create the Cyrus user
> and mail group; I found that out when I went to create the Cyrus user
> and mail group myself. I do not see a separate port for Cyrus SASL.

There is a separate port for Cyrus-sasl2:

/usr/ports/security/cyrus-sasl2

Scot