Trying to get net/vnc (vncserver) working

Clint Olsen clint.olsen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 02:28:22 PST 2007

So, I'm trying to get vncserver running, and it's dying on the 'fixed'
font.  I should have all the pre-requisite ports installed.  I've tried
fiddling with the -fp arguments in vncserver without success.  Since this
is a port, I have higher expectations about having to modify files after
installing them.  What is the normal steps one must go through to get
vncserver working?

-Clint

Xvnc Free Edition 4.1.2 - built Nov 26 2007 12:03:27
Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
Underlying X server release 40300000, The XFree86 Project, Inc

Tue Nov 27 02:00:52 2007
 vncext:      VNC extension running!
 vncext:      Listening for VNC connections on port 5901
 vncext:      Listening for HTTP connections on port 5801
vncext:      created VNC server for screen 0
error opening security policy file /usr/local/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
xrdb: Connection refused
xrdb: Can't open display 'belle.0lsen.net:1'
xset:  unable to open display "belle.0lsen.net:1"
twm:  unable to open display "belle.0lsen.net:1"