WITH_/WITHOUT_ variables confusing

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 26 12:25:29 PST 2007

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 01:56:09PM -0500, Wesley Shields wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 10:37:33AM -0800, Clint Olsen wrote:
> > I'm trying to build net/vnc, and I want a server.  The OPTIONS list
> > shows:
> >
> > OPTIONS =   server "blah blah" on
> >
> > So, this tells me that by default it should be on, correct?
> > Yet the port throughout the makefile references WITHOUT_SERVER.  I've
> > tried various combinations of WITH_SERVER and WITHOUT_SERVER and I can't
> > seem to disable WITHOUT_SERVER.
> >
> > A couple one-line examples in the manpage would clear this up a lot.
> > I checked the handbook, the ports manpage, and I even looked at the
> > ports default makefile.
> >
> > And finally, once I've figured out how to do this, how/where are we
> > supposed to override this so I never have to deal with it again?  I
> > always want a server built.
>
> It's being stored with the rest of the options most likely.  You can see
> the currently selected options with 'make config' or remove them with
> 'make rmconfig'.  Once you select the options you want they will be
> remembered for you.

One of the difficulties with 'make config' is that because it's
interactive (via dialog(1)), it makes script-based or non-interactive
installs difficult.  For example:

  make rmconfig    (only needed if you've done make config before)
  make WITH_xxx=true WITHOUT_yyy=true
  make WITH_xxx=true WITHOUT_yyy=true install

...doesn't appear to work (the last time I tried it).  Although, I do
remember seeing a semi-recent commit that mentioned use of using
WITH/WITHOUT, but I'm not sure if it addressed the above concern.