ports modifying system setups

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Thu Nov 22 09:47:03 PST 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:48:59 -0800
Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> RW wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:14:17 -0800
> > Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >
> >> ...                         I have for some time wanted to add
> >> support to rc.subr for a /usr/local/etc/rc.conf.d so that ports
> >> could install sensible defaults for rc.conf,
> >
> > What's the advantage of doing that over having the the  defaults
> > in the rc.d script,
>
> I thought I explained that. The point of this thread was that services
> installed by ports are not (any longer?) on by default. What I'm
> proposing is a way to allow the user to choose to enable the service
> using an OPTION (amongst other things).

You wrote defaults (plural), I thought you might want to handle other
thing apart from yes/no.

Having the port options determine whether a port should be off or on by
default sounds like  a nightmare. You wouldn't know what the packager or
previous administrator had set as the default without checking the
files. People would still end-up putting settings in rc.conf just
to be sure - except that then you wouldn't be able to rely on a comment
to turn something off.