ports modifying system setups

Gergely CZUCZY phoemix at harmless.hu
Thu Nov 22 00:55:34 PST 2007

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 12:43:50AM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:

> >I said, that this can be done from the Makefile as well, if that OPTIONS
> >of yours is enabled.
>
> But that would violate the principle that ports shouldn't touch files in /etc.
from rc.conf(5):

first:
The file /etc/rc.conf.local is
     used to override settings in /etc/rc.conf for historical reasons.  See
     the rc_conf_files variable below.

second:
     rc_conf_files
                 (str) This option is used to specify a list of files that
                 will override the settings in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.  The
                 files will be read in the order in which they are specified
                 and should include the full path to the file.  By default,
                 the files specified are /etc/rc.conf and /etc/rc.conf.local

So, extend rc_conf_files with /usr/local/etc/rc.conf, that's an acceptable
extension IMO, and you're done. ports can touch that.

Though, IMO ports could touch the .local files, regardless it's in /etc/.
That's why it's rc.conf_.local_ .

Anyways, I'm not a core member, it was just a point of view.

Sincerely,

Gergely Czuczy
mailto: gergely.czuczy at harmless.hu

--
Weenies test. Geniuses solve problems that arise.