Consistent Python error

Indigo 23 indigo23 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 13:28:48 PST 2007

Ever since I updated to python-2.5 using the instructions in UPDATING,
I've been getting errors running python apps, it is related to the md5
module and I keep getting errors about it.  I tried completely
removing python and re-compiling/installing it and and a lot of the
apps that depend on it, but to no avail, I keep getting the same
error.  Anyone have any idea how to fix this? Here's a sample error
message that I frequently get from various python-based apps:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/<python-app-name-here>", line 39, in <module>
    import urllib2
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/urllib2.py", line 88, in <module>
    import hashlib
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/hashlib.py", line 133, in <module>
    md5 = __get_builtin_constructor('md5')
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/hashlib.py", line 60, in
__get_builtin_constructor
    import _md5
ImportError: No module named _md5

PS. I replaced the actual app name with <python-app-name-here> because
it doesn't occur with just one app, it happens with several, so it is
not specific to any one particular application.