Looking for speed increases in "make index" and pkg_version for ports

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 29 12:55:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 08:34:29PM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2007-May-27 15:30:48 -0700, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >This sounds like a good solution.  In fact, I'm lead to believe that
> >heavy reliance on /bin/sh is part of why the ports collection is slow.
>
> Someone needs to enable accounting on a recent -current (with the
> high-resolution accounting records) and look at where the time is
> actually going.  (My -current box needs upgrading before I could
> do this).

The best I was able to do: I have a 6.2-RELEASE box which contains
profiled libraries, and managed to make a profiled /bin/sh.  This
didn't take much work (just some modification of src/bin/sh/Makefile),
but one thing which did stump me was the .gmon file never getting written.
Turns out trap.c calls _exit(2) not exit(3).  Change that and voila.

Admittedly I'm not that familiar with gprof, and I'm also left wondering
if profiling /bin/sh is going to help us, since we don't have a direct
way of determining which shell commands take the most time -- just which
C functions are most heavily used.