Looking for speed increases in "make index"

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon May 28 03:19:20 UTC 2007

In <20070528020143.GB1361 at k7.mavetju>, Edwin Groothuis <edwin at mavetju.org> typed:
> On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 08:44:56PM -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:
> > In summary, the ports infrastructure is really complicated because it's
> > trying to deal with all kinds of constraints and conditions.  I challenge
> Reading this, I was wondering what the ports infrastructure has
> ever done for us?
> See http://www.epicure.demon.co.uk/whattheromans.html

While that's funny, it makes me wonder if you're serious when you ask
the question.

The ports system is a wonder. If you've ever tried installing software
off the net without such a thing to help, you'll know what I mean. If
you haven't, you should thank jkh for your state of blessedness.

That said, it's now a decade old, and I'm sure doing far more than jkh
ever expected of it. It's also tightly integarted with the package
system, which is in a similar state. Both are suffering in comparison
to newer systems, many of which have less ambitious goals.

It seems like in the last month or so a lot of people have popped up
with an interest in reworking one or both of them. Hopefully, some of
them with time to do so will get good advice.

	<mike