php5-gd and xorg-libraries conflict

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Sat May 26 12:27:51 UTC 2007

On Fri, 25 May 2007 17:11:07 -0400
Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 07:22:09PM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 May 2007 21:58:49 -0400
> > Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:

> > > Can't imagine how this would happen, please post the relevant parts of
> > > the log.
> >
> > Hi Kris,
> > ok , it's happened again in the same VM as before. xorgs is not installed at all:

My apologies for not being clear - the VM does NOT have x11/xorg installed , or
any xorg component  (any version) installed when I tried this.

> No, this is not what you claimed (it's not trying to install x11/xorg).

yes, agreed

> > ===>    Verifying package for /usr/local/libdata/xorg/libraries in /usr/ports/x11/xorg-libraries
> > Read /usr/ports/UPDATING for the procedure to upgrade or install xorg 7.2.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/x11/xorg-libraries.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/php5-gd.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/php5-gd.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/jpgraph2.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/www/gforge.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/www/gforge.
> > ** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa /tmp/portinstall.96993.0 env make DEPENDS_TARGET=package reinstall
> > ** Fix the installation problem and try again.
> > [Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 36 packages found (-0 +3) ... done]
> > ** Listing the failed packages (*:skipped / !:failed)
> >         ! www/gforge    (install error)
> > --->  Packages processed: 0 done, 0 ignored, 0 skipped and 1 failed
> >
> > -===================================================
> >
> > I can obviously install all of xorg  ( or the package I had prebuilt), but ,
> >  if I understand all this correctly, xorgs-libraries shouldn't be complaining, but just go ahead and install the libraries....right?
>
> Wrong.  See that file for the steps you need to do to proceed.
>
> Kris

Kris, I've read the instructions to install and upgrade xorg several times, and
I've done each at least once with no problems. I am not arguing that install
all of x11/xorg would (and does) solve the problem.

What I don't get (obviously due to craneal thickness of my part), is why does
it bail out the way it does.

Can xorg-libraries not follow ahead with its own process?

does xorg-libraries need to be installed independently of anything else (or as
part of x11/xorg, of course)?

If there are no xorg packages preinstalled, the upgrade process does nothing.
mergebase.sh doesn't seem to make much difference (other than a minor addition
to /etc/periodic.conf )... I actually run the whole upgrade process where there
was nothing to uprgrade, repeated the php5-gd install and got the same result.

If you could point to what I am missing in this picture, it'd be much
appreciated.

thanks again for your time,
Beto
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Too strong a strong vision can kill you - you'll walk right over the edge,
firm in the knowledge of the path in front of you." Linus Torvalds

Warned.