can't startx after xorg upgrade: could not open default font 'fixed'

Etienne Robillard granted14 at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 12:44:54 UTC 2007

Nice. Which GCC version did you used for compiling
all theses ports ?

I don't get anymore a segfault but still gets that
fatal error message about the missing font 'fixed'...

It looks like the /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc path
gets ignored by the fc-cache utility, even after
having
upgraded the x11-fonts/xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps port,
which is kinda odd btw.

Anyway, I guess thats my problem since I've not
bothered following the steps in mergebase.sh nor did
I've used the xorg metaport.

The funny thing about this 7.2 upgrade quest is that I
didnt even plan to go into it :)

Cheers,

Etienne