can't startx after xorg upgrade: could not open default font 'fixed'

eculp at encontacto.net eculp at encontacto.net
Thu May 24 12:22:48 UTC 2007

Quoting Etienne Robillard <granted14 at yahoo.com>:

> Hi eculp,
>
> Yes -- I'm gettting the same results here on
> 7.0-CURRENT.
> I've compiled with gcc 3.4.6 and trying to start
> /usr/local/bin/X returns a segmentation fault and the
> message you've described below.
>
> I dont know if that could help but maybe you could
> try recompiling x11-fonts/xorg-fonts and see what
> it does ?
>
> Thanks in advance for letting me know once you've
> found a proper solution.. :)

Hello Etienne,

After bringing all 600+ ports on this workstation up to date taking
advantage of the -P option to portupgrade, I was still getting the
same message so I bit the bullet and reran portupgrade -rRfpy x11/xorg
and maybe 12 hours later, Xorg all works beautifully plus I have local
packages for upgrading my other machines.  I should have probably done
that from the beginning but who knows, I'm vert happy and 7.2 and the
localbase change, xorg 7.2 seems to have much better drivers.

Thanks to all who made this very very complex upgrade possible.
Considering the more than 200 ports that were rebuilt with portupgrade
-rRfpy x11/xorg with no errors, it is pretty remarkable.  THANKS.

ed