tinderbox and bad system call

Erwin Lansing erwin at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 22 19:57:31 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 03:16:17PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Tinderboxes have always had to cope with this (in the past that mostly
> just affected me).  Sometimes when a new CURRENT is forked you can get
> away with running the previous version for a while longer because the
> kernel ABI usually only diverges slowly.  Eventually there is always
> an incompatible change and tinderbox machines must be upgraded to run
> CURRENT.  This is just the price of progress.
>
> As a bonus, you get to help with QA of FreeBSD-CURRENT, which you'll
> be thankful for in the long run since you'll be using that branch
> sooner or later no matter what you do.

Exactly the non-joke part in my joke (unfortunately, some people seem to
ignore or overlook smileys), it would be great if developers could run
-CURRENT on at least some of their systems, but I also understand that
not everyone has access to hardward to do this.  My personal tinderbox
runs on my workstation at work, as this is the fastest machine I have
access to, and that is too critical to run anything more recent than
-STABLE.

The amd64 box of the shared tinderboxes available to committers does run
-CURRENT though, and I will try (or try to convince Simon) to upgrade
the i386 box as well one of these days, so committers have access to
test these ports that are running into trouble after the recent events.

-erwin

--
Erwin Lansing                                     http://droso.org
Security is like an onion.          (o_ _o)
And it makes you cry.            <____) (____>    erwin at aauug.dk