Xorg upgrade & portmaster

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-ports-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon May 21 21:13:12 UTC 2007

"FreeBSD-Ports" <FreeBSD-Ports at socruel.nu> writes:

> For what it is worth .. Have doen an update of xorg-libraries port with
> portmaster ...
>
> Have a system (6.2-release) with xorg-libraries port (because of Lire
> port) and run into the following message after trying to update it with
> portmaster:
>
> ===>>> Dependency check complete for x11/xorg-libraries
>
> ===>  Cleaning for xorg-libraries-7.2
> Read /usr/ports/UPDATING for the procedure to upgrade to xorg 7.2.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/xorg-libraries.
>
> ===>>> make failed for x11/xorg-libraries
> ===>>> Aborting update
>
> After reading /usr/ports/UPDATING I thought well just try what it says,
> so I issued the command setenv XORG_UPGRADE yes as root and then did a
> portmaster xorg-libraries. This update went fine.

That's *not* "just what it says."  It says that the directions are for
portupgrade only, and for other tools you need to get an upgrade path
from the author of the tool.  Furthermore, in the message to which you
are following up, the author of portmanager said that his advice was
not to use portmanager for this upgrade yet, and if you wanted to use
it anyway, to start by removing all your ports and building them over.

>                                                   After that I issued
> the command sh /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/mergebase.sh as the UPDATING
> file says but it didn't make any sense to me.

What, exactly, didn't make any sense to you?  Your description does
not allow me to guess what the actual symptoms were.

The main purpose of running that script is to replace /usr/X11R6 with
a symlink.  If you are still getting the above error on attempting to
build x11/xorg-libraries, then this did not happen.  It is not clear
to me from your description whether this is the case or not.

> If you need any more detailed information on this please feel free to
> ask. I have another system for which I have to this also, but it's a 6.1
> system.

The best step is probably to go back and read Doug Barton's message
again.  There was a lot of information in there that may help you
figure out a way forward.

The information that people will need to help you more directly is the
specific details of "I do this, then the system does that."  However,
since there isn't yet any recommended upgrade method using portmaster,
and its author says he is actively working on it to teach it to handle
this situation, waiting for him is my advice to most portmaster users.
You have probably confused your ports database extensively, and to get
back to a fully working system may require uninstalling a lot of ports
and building them back up.

Good luck.