Speeding up pkg_version and perhaps other port utilities

Sun May 20 06:29:39 UTC 2007

Quoting Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen at math.missouri.edu> (Sat, 19 May 2007 23:48:52 -0500):

> On my system, the program pkg_version can double its speed simply by
> replacing "make -V PKGNAME" by "make BEFOREPORTMK=yes -V PKGNAME" in
> src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/version.  Basically what it does is to tell
> "make" to process only about half of bsd.port.mk.
>
> It seems to me that with some clever use like this, certain commands
> like "make all-package-depends" could selectively read only parts of
> bsd.port.mk.

You have to make sure no dependency is set in the second part of
bsd.port.mk then. I don't know for sure if this is already the case. I
expect that it is not the case.

Bye,
Alexander.

--