Speeding up pkg_version and perhaps other port utilities

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Sun May 20 04:48:55 UTC 2007

On my system, the program pkg_version can double its speed simply by
replacing "make -V PKGNAME" by "make BEFOREPORTMK=yes -V PKGNAME" in
src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/version.  Basically what it does is to tell
"make" to process only about half of bsd.port.mk.

It seems to me that with some clever use like this, certain commands
like "make all-package-depends" could selectively read only parts of
bsd.port.mk.