Specs for saving old shared libs

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sun May 20 00:21:38 UTC 2007

On 2007-May-19 16:21:49 -0700, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> 1. Before deinstall, save shared libs in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg
> 2. After install, remove anything from /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg with the
> same name as something installed by the new port.

One possible gotcha with blindly implementing this is that some ports
install local copies of .so's in private directories that are also
parts of other ports.  One example I recently bumped into is that
OpenOffice.org 2.2 installs a private copy of python-2.3 using the
same .so names as python.

> I still feel that the only safe way to do this is to find the union of
> 'ldconfig -r' and 'pkg_info -L' and save those files, and those files only.

That should be intersection, not union.  I think this makes sense -
there is no point in backing up private .so files because these should
only be referenced by the port in question (and therefore the old .so
files should be unnecessary once the old port version is deleted).

--
Peter Jeremy