HEADS UP: xorg 7.2 ready for testing

Arno J. Klaassen arno at heho.snv.jussieu.fr
Fri May 18 22:18:41 UTC 2007

Hello,

after solving the libthr.so problem being overwritten by the -m32 version,
the upgrade went flawlessly in one hit. Congratulations!

Nevertheless, three minor observations :

 - mergebase.sh failed (after resolving conflicts) with "Merge failed."
   But the script removes ${errfile}. A mv in case of error
   might be better to have a trace why (I bluntly restarted
   the script ...).

 - I did not have the xorg meta-port installed but just xorg-server.
   In that case, the upgrade path does not seem to install
   x11-drivers/xorg-drivers.
   This might be obvious for experienced xorg7.2 users, but for
   me as a newbie it took me some time to find (especially
   since this board has some VIA Unichrome VGA chipset which did
   not work under 6.9 either so I did not look directly for
   a missing port).
   It might be worthwhile to add a note on this.

 - As above, but this time for the fonts : x11-fonts/font-alias
   seems not to be installed if you have just a subset
   of xorg-fonts installed rather than the metaport.

That said, thanx for all your great work.

Regards,

Arno

PS. Xorg now works OK in vesa and via mode; I might give the
unichrome driver a shot later if I have time.