Specs for saving old shared libs

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Fri May 18 15:24:37 UTC 2007

RW writes:

>  > >  The last part seems to be the catch here. How about providing a
>  > >  tool that scans all binaries in the standard locations for what
>  > >  libs they depend on, and also allows the user/admin to specify
>  > >  the paths to binaries that he installed on his own, then outputs
>  > >  a list of unused libraries?
>  >
>  > 	Are you aware of "libchk" and "portsclean"?
>
>  I have dozens of these libraries in my compat/pkg  directory and I doubt
>  that any should be needed, since I'm fully up-to-date, and mostly use
>  portmanager.

	<do not try this at home>
	When in need of emergency disk space, my first trick is to
flush /usr/ports/distfiles and /usr/obj.
	If that's not enough, I empty /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg.  About
one time in twenty I discover something important was depending on a
deleted lib.  _So far_ , every time I have been able to fix this by
sym-linking lib<foo>,N to lib<foo>.N+1.
	</do not try this at home>

					Robert Huff