Specs for saving old shared libs

Benjamin Lutz mail at maxlor.com
Fri May 18 12:09:27 UTC 2007

On Friday 18 May 2007 09:50, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2007-May-17 23:31:57 +0200, Pav Lucistnik <pav at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >Just before old package deinstall, scan the list of files installed
> > by old port (pkg_info -g). Match .so.X files under PREFIX/lib and
> > any ldconfig'ed paths 1*), copy them away to
> > /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg.
> >
> >After installation of new port, match .so.X files again. If same
> >filenames appear, remove old copies from /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg.
> >
> >Finally, ldconfig -r /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg
>
> Ideally, you also need some way to identify (and remove) old .so
> files that are no longer referenced by anything.  This is not as easy
> because there's no record of what ports use what .so's (and no way to
> track apps outside the ports system).

The last part seems to be the catch here. How about providing a tool
that scans all binaries in the standard locations for what libs they
depend on, and also allows the user/admin to specify the paths to
binaries that he installed on his own, then outputs a list of unused
libraries? This could be just another ports-mgmt tool (and
incidentally, I've written scripts that do this several times already
(none of them are worthy of publication though, they're just quick
hacks)).

Cheers
Benjamin